- Drugs and Pharma sector receives Rs 4,975-crore FDI in FY16
- Worlds first biosimilar to treat advanced cancers launched by Reliance Lifesciences
- Indian pharmaceutical firms supply over 80 per cent of the antiretroviral drugs used globally to combat AIDS (Acquired Immuno Deficiency Syndrome)
- HIV infections in India have reduced by 66 per cent since 2000, while deaths due to AIDS have been reduced by nearly 55 per cent since 2007
- India's Pharma exports were to the tune of US $12.54 billion in 2015 as compared to China's $6.94 billion for the same year
Brand India Pharma
Brand India Pharma is a significant initiative led by Pharmexcil (Pharmaceutical Export Promotion Council) and IBEF (India Brand Equity Foundation) under the aegis of the Department of Commerce, Government of India, to highlight the value proposition of Indian pharma globally. Indian pharmaceutical sector accounts for about 2.4 per cent of the global pharmaceutical industry in value terms and 10 per cent in volume terms, 20 per cent of global exports in generics and is expected to expand at a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 22.42 per cent over 2015-20 to reach USD55 billion. Brand India Pharma intends to create and facilitate greater market opportunities by positioning Indian pharma as Credible, Affordable and Sustainable. The global launch of Brand India Pharma took place on March 21, 2012, at CPhI Japan in Tokyo. CPhI is the largest pharmaceutical trade exhibition organised each year by the UBM Group. Through exhibitions, conferences and online communities, CPhI Worldwide, ICSE, InnoPack and P-MEC (events focussed on specific sub-sectors of the pharma ingredients ) bring together more than 110,000 pharmaceutical professionals each year to network, identify business opportunities and expand the global market.
India has been participating in successive editions of CPhI Worldwide as the 'Focus Country' at CPhI Worldwide 2012 Madrid, Spain in October 2012 and as the Value Partner at CPhI Worldwide 2013, Frankfurt. Brand India Pharma was present in full strength at CPhI Worldwide 2014, Paris Nord Villepinte, France with over 200 Indian companies showcasing the strengths of the Indian pharmaceutical industry. The campaign have been actively represented with the help of press meets, buyer seller meets, business seminars, strategic onsite branding, brand kit comprising factbooks,film,pendrive,manual,bookmark and robust media engagement with significant number of articles being published in international pharma media. The campaign, over a period of three years, has been able to position India not only as Pharmacy of the world but also committed as a Responsible Healthcare nation.