About Cipla Pharma
Cipla is an Indian pharmaceutical and biotechnology company with a multinational presence, and one of the world's largest manufacturers of generic pharmaceutical formulations. It was founded in 1935 by Dr. Khwaja Abdul Hamiedas as The Chemical, Industrial & Pharmaceutical Laboratories. It has its headquarters in Mumbai, Maharashtra, and offices in Belgium, UK, and the United States. Its current chairman is Dr. Yusuf K. Hamied.
Cipla has 34 manufacturing facilities in India that are cGMP compliant and conform to national and major international standards. Its formulations are sold in 170+ countries including the United States, Canada, Europe, Africa, Australasia, Latin America and Middle East.
Cipla's portfolio includes 2000+ products across multiple therapeutic categories, including treatment for acute, chronic and rare conditions. The company makes affordable medicines and has played a pioneering role in HIV/AIDS treatment. It is among the leading manufacturers of ARV (anti-retroviral) drugs in the world, and was the world's first pharmaceutical company (in 2001) to supply ARVs to countries at less than a dollar a day. In the financial year 2014-15 (according to company sources), its ARV formulations were used by more than 2 million HIV patients in 100 countries.
- Cipla at-a-glance*
US FDA, WHO-Geneva, MHRA-UK, TGA-Australia, SUKL-Slovak Republic, APVMA-Australia, MCC-South Africa, PIC-Germany, Danish Medical Agency, ANVISA-Brazil, INVIMA- Colombia, NDA-Uganda, Department of Health-Canada and MOH-Saudi Arabia, etc.
Distributors in India
Market Share (India)
As of 31 March, 2015; source: Company website (http://www.cipla.com/)
- History of Cipla
Cipla is one of the world's largest generic pharmaceutical companies, and has a strong presence in 170+ countries. Its founder, Dr. KA Hamied, established it in 1935 with the vision to make India self-reliant in healthcare. Since then, it has emerged as one of India's leading pharmaceutical companies.
Cipla has 34 modern manufacturing facilities in India which are engaged in the manufacture of Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (APIs) and formulations. These manufacturing facilities have been approved by major international Regulatory Agencies. The company manufactures 2000+ products in 65 therapeutic categories and 60+ dosage forms, covering communicable, non-communicable, common and emerging diseases, and rare diseases.
The primary focus of Cipla'sResearch and Development (R&D) center is to develop innovative and affordable products and drug delivery systems. It has pioneered several formulations and come up with many firsts - both in India and the world.
- 1935: Founder Dr. KA Hamied sets up Cipla
- 1939: Mahatma Gandhi visits Cipla and inspires Cipla's founder to make essential medicines for the nation and help make it self-reliant
- 1960s: Pioneers API manufacturing in India and helps lay the foundation for the bulk drug industry in India
- 1970: Spearheads the New Patent Law, enabling Indian pharmaceutical companies to manufacture patented products to make it possible for Indian companies - for the first time - to manufacture any medicine and offer it at an affordable price to any Indian
- 1978: Pioneers inhalation therapy in India by manufacturing Metered-Dose Inhaler (MDI) at a time when imported supplies had stopped
- 1994: Launches the world's first oral iron chelator, Deferiprone, to revolutionize thalassemia treatment by making it affordable, painless and convenient
- 1996: Makes the world's first transparent dry powder inhaler
- 2001: Pioneers access to HIV treatment by making anti-retrovirals (ARVs) available at less than a Dollar a Day resulting in millions of saved lives
- 2005: Produces an anti-flu drug in less than 3 months during the Bird Flu epidemic, which under normal conditions would have taken at least 3 years to develop
- 2012: Makes another medical breakthrough by reducing cancer drug prices and making cancer treatment affordable
- Now: Venturing into newer challenges in platform technologies, biotechnology and stem cells to address the unmet medical needs of the world cost-effectively
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Founder: Dr. K.A.Hamied (1898-1972)
- Chairman: Dr. Yusuf K Hamied
- Non-Executive Vice-Chairman: Mr. M.K. Hamied
- Managing Director and Global Chief Executive Officer: Mr. SubhanuSaxena
- Whole-time Director: Mr. S. Radhakrishnan
- Executive Director: Ms. SaminaVaziralli
- Non-Executive / Independent Directors: Mr. Ashok Sinha ,Dr. Peter Mugyenyi, Mr. AdilZainulbhai, Ms. Punita Lal
Cipla USA Office
Cipla USA, Inc.
Cipla Europe Office
Cipla Europe NV
Cipla UK Office
Cipla (EU) Ltd.