About Ajanta Pharma Ltd.
Ajanta Pharma Limited is an Indian pharmaceutical company that is headquartered in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. Established in 1973 by the Agrawal family, Ajanta Pharma develops, manufactures and markets branded generics to emerging markets in 30+ countries (across Asia, Africa, CIS, Middle East and SE Asia), and generics to developed markets like USA.
The company has a fast-growing presence in specialty chronic therapies such as ophthalmology, dermatology, cardiology and pain management.
As of 31 March 2016, Ajanta Pharma (as per its website):
Reported sales revenues of INR 1728 crores, out of which:
- International business accounted for 69% of total sales
- Domestic business accounted for 31% of total sales
- Had 5 manufacturing facilities
Had 1 R&D Center with:
- 750+ scientists
- 6% of sales revenues (2015-16) invested in R&D
- Was exporting to 30+ countries across 5 continents
Had 8 of its products approved by US FDA that have either been commercialized or are awaiting launches
- Had a domestic presence (in India) in specialty chronic therapies such as Ophthalmology, Dermatology, Cardiology and Pain Management
- Had launched 190+ products in India with ~70% being market firsts
- Had launched 64 new products in India and emerging markets in 2015-16
Ajanta Pharma Limited is listed on the National Stock Exchange of India (NSE) and the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE).
Ajanta Pharma Limited at-a-glance
Ajanta Pharma was founded by the Agrawal family in 1973. It was listed in BSE and NSE in 2000. Post listing, the company’s sales and profitability grew at a CAGR of 22.5% and 26.9% respectively (FY01 to FY13).
The company employs more than 6000 employees worldwide, and sells its products across in India, Asia, CIS, Middle East, USA and Africa. It recently forayed into developed markets for faster growth.
Ajanta Pharma is fast establishing itself as an important player in the specialty products space.
- 1973 – Commences operations with re-packing of generic products
- Launches branded OTC products
- Sets up first manufacturing facility at Chikalthana
- 1986 – Starts production at 2nd manufacturing facility at Paithan
- 1989 – Launches 30+ in India, a highly successful OTC product
- 1992 – Enters the international market
- 1995 – Establishes subsidiary (with manufacturing facility) in Mauritius
- 2000 – Gets listed on the National Stock Exchange (NSE) and Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE)
- 2005 – Strategically shifts business focus from OTC to specialized prescription products in Ophthalmology, Dermatology and Cardiology
- 2007 – Establishes a fully-equipped, dedicated R&D facility in Mumbai
- Buys manufacturing facility at Chitegaon
- Establishes API facility in Waluj for captive consumption
- Becomes the first generic company in the world to get WHO Geneva pre–qualification for its anti-malarial drug
- 2010 – Enters the Philippines market via Ajanta Pharma Philippines, Inc.
- 2011 – Emerges a strong specialty player with domestic leadership positions in Ophthalmology, Dermatology and Cardiology
- 2012 – Ranks among Top 10 pharma companies in Franco Africa
- 2013 – Begins sales in the United States
- Registers an income growth of 30% and profit growth of 62% CAGR over last 5 years
- Sets up second dedicated R&D centre in Kandivli
- Inaugurates a new manufacturing facility in Dahej
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Chairman Mr. Mannalal Agrawal
- Vice Chairman Mr. Purushottam Agrawal
- Vice Chairman Mr. Madhusudan Agrawal
- Managing Director Mr. Yogesh M Agrawal
- Joint Managing Director Mr. Rajesh M Agrawal
- Independent & Non-Executive Director Mr. Chandrakant M Khetan
- Independent & Non-Executive Director Mr. KH Vishwanathan
- Independent & Non-Executive Director Dr. Anil Kumar
- Independent & Non-Executive Director Mr. Prabhakar Dalal
- Independent & Non-Executive Director Dr. Anjana Grewal
Ajanta Pharma Limited
Charkop, Kandivli West
Tel: +91 22 6606 1000
Fax: +91 22 6606 1200
Ajanta Pharma USA Inc
One Grande Commons
440 US Highway 22 East, Suite 150
Bridgewater, NJ 08807
Tel:+1 908 252 1165
Fax:+1 908 393 5505
Ajanta Pharma (Mauritius) Limited
BPML Building, Goodlands
Tel: +230 2830334 / 358
Fax: +230 2831172
Ajanta Pharma Philippines Inc.
710 AXA Life Center
Sen. Gil Puyat Ave Corner Tindalo St
San Antonio Village, Makati City 1200
Tel:+632 844 7350