About Astrazenece Pharma India Ltd.
AstraZeneca Pharma India Limited (AZPIL) is the Indian subsidiary of the global biopharmaceutical company AstraZeneca Plc, UK. AZPIL was established in 1979 and is headquartered at Bengaluru, Karnataka, India.
AstraZeneca India is focused on 3 main therapy areas:
- Respiratory, Inflammation and Autoimmunity
- Cardiovascular and Metabolic Diseases (CVMD)
The company’s key business segments are:
- Healthcare segment, which engages in the manufacture and sale of pharmaceutical products
- Clinical Trial segment, which provides clinical trial services on pharmaceutical products to group companies
- Over 1000 employees in manufacturing, marketing and sales.
- Growth Platform, which includes innovative drugs like Brilinta, Forxiga, Symbicort, Onglyza and Kombiglyze, constituted 54% of total sales and grew by 30% (2016-17).
- Antidiabetic therapy is the second largest contributor to the Indian pharmaceutical market, and amongst the fastest growing therapy segments (17.6%). The oral antidiabetic segment constitutes 74% of the market and is growing at 16.4% (as per IMS Health data of March 2017).
- Tablet facility was the first in India to be accredited with Gold Standard Rating under LEED.
- Robust clinical operations at more than 100 sites in India with ongoing clinical trials.
- In-house Global Technology Center (GTC) in Chennai provides IT Infrastructure Management, Application Development and Maintenance, Global Project Management, and various allied IT services to AstraZeneca’s worldwide operations.
The shares of AstraZeneca Pharma India Ltd. are listed on the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) and the National Stock Exchange (NSE).
AstraZeneca Pharma India Limited at-a-glance
Approvals & Certifications
AstraZeneca Pharma India Ltd. is a subsidiary of Astra, Sweden and is part of the worldwide AstraZeneca Group. Established in 1979 in India, the company was known as Astra-IDL, promoted jointly by Astra Pharmaceuticals AB, Sweden (Astra) and IDL Chemicals Ltd. Hyderabad (IDL).
In 1980, the company entered into a technical collaboration with Astra for the supply of information, know-how, all manufacturing processes and technical data for the manufacture of basic drugs, formulations, fine chemicals and industrial chemicals. Thereafter, it set up a manufacturing facility at Yelahanka, Bangalore for the manufacture of basic drugs, formulations, fine and industrial chemicals.
In 1982, the company commissioned a manufacturing facility for pharmaceuticals and chemicals. Later in 1997, the company announced a joint venture between Astra AB and IDL Industries (Hindujas). In 2001, Astra Sweden took up 51.50% stake of IDL.
For details, please see Milestones below.
- 2001: AstraZeneca PLC acquires a majority (56.5%) shareholding of AZPIL following the merger between Astra and Zeneca
- Launches two brands Meronem & Zoladex from its global portfolio in India
- AstraZeneca PLC takes its shareholding to 87.21% and subsequently to 91.61% through further acquisition
- 2003: Introduces Seloken XL from its global portfolio in India
- 2004:API facility is approved by MPA the Swedish Regulatory Authority
- 2005: ERP system is extended to AZPIL’s depots. HRIMS system is implemented
- Acquires Vancocin from Eli Lily
- Partocin, another global product is launched in India
- Is ranked no. 1 in medical rep survey
- Gets Frost and Sullivan award for manufacturing excellence
- Gets Japanese FDA approval for TBS
- 2007: Introduces Faslodex and Iressa from global portfolio and Selomax & Clavatrol
- 2008: Introduces Symbicort from the global portfolio and Gladis and Valencia
- 2009: Introduces Crestor and 7 other products under the Udaan project
- Launches 6 more products under the Udaan project
- Invests in a new tablet manufacturing facility
- 2012:Launches Brillinta from the global portfolio
No further information from 2012 is available.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Chairman: - Mr. Narayan K Seshadri
- Managing Director: - Mr. Gagan Singh Bedi
- Independent Director: - Ms. Revathy Ashok
- Independent Director: - Ms. Kimsuka Narsimhan
- Whole-time Director - Mr. Rajesh Marwaha
- Non-Executive Director - Mr. Gregory David Emil Mueller
- Non-Executive Director - Mr. Ian John Parish
CORPORATE & REGISTERED OFFICE
AstraZeneca Pharma India Ltd.
AstraZeneca Pharma India Ltd.