About Dr. Reddy's Laboratories Ltd.
Dr. Reddy's Laboratories Ltd. is a multinational pharmaceutical company based in Hyderabad, Telengana, India. The company manufactures and sells a wide range of pharmaceutical products in India and over 25 countries through its three businesses - Pharmaceutical Services & Active Ingredients, Global Generics and Proprietary Products. Its major markets include India, USA, Russia and CIS, Germany, UK, Venezuela, S. Africa, Romania and New Zealand.
Founded by Dr. K Anji Reddy on February 24, 1984, the company's portfolio of products and services include APIs, custom pharmaceutical services, generics, biosimilars and differentiated formulations. The company's major therapeutic areas of focus are gastro-intestinal, cardiovascular, diabetology, oncology, pain management and anti-infectives.
As of 31st March 2015, Dr. Reddy's Laboratories had an intellectual capital of 1,200+ scientists. The company has 23 manufacturing facilities (17 in India and 6 in USA, UK and China), supported by 5 technology development centers (2 in India and 3 in USA, UK and Netherlands), 2 integrated product development facilities and 3 R&D centers.
The company's offerings cover active pharmaceutical ingredients, branded formulations, generic drugs, biologics, specialty products and new chemical entities (NCE) that are sold in North America, Europe and the emerging markets of Asia, Africa and South America.
About 86% of Dr. Reddy's Laboratories sales are from overseas markets. North America is its single largest market, accounting for about 47% of its turnover.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Founder: Dr. K Anji Reddy
- Chairman: Mr. Satish Reddy
- Co-Chairman, Managing Director & CEO Mr. G V Prasad
- Independent Directors: Mr. Anupam Puri, Dr. Ashok S Ganguly, Dr. Bruce L A Carter, Dr. J P Moreau, Ms. Kalpana Morparia, Dr. Omkar Goswami, Mr. Ravi Bhoothalingam, Mr. Sridar Iyengar
Dr. Reddy's Laboratories Ltd.
Dr. Reddy's Laboratories Inc.
Kedar Upadhye: email@example.com
Ashish Girotra: firstname.lastname@example.org
Saunak Savla: email@example.com
Dr. Reddy's Laboratories at-a-glance
Turnover (year ended 31 March, 2015)
USD 2.38 billion
History of Dr. Reddy's Laboratories
Dr. Reddy's Laboratories started operations in 1984 as a supplier to Indian drug manufacturers. Soon after, it started exporting successfully to less-regulated markets. By the early 1990s (and after going public), the company began focusing on getting approvals from drug regulators for their formulations and bulk drug manufacturing plants in developed economies such as US and Europe.
In 2000, Dr. Reddy's Laboratories became the third largest pharmaceutical company in India, and in 2001, it was listed on the New York Stock Exchange.
According to the company, Dr. Reddy's Laboratories:
Listed on major stock exchanges in India, Dr. Reddy's Laboratories launched 61 new products in the financial year 2015:
- Was the first Indian company to launch Para IV product, Fluoxetine, in USA
- Made the world's first generic monoclonal antibody of Rituximab, Reditux
- Launched several complex generics (such as Fondaparinux) in USA with fewer than three competitors
- 12 in the US
- 11 in Europe
- 20 in emerging markets
- 18 in India
- 1984 - Starts making Methyldopa - a hypertension drug unavailable in India until 1985
- 1990 - Becomes the first Indian pharma company to export Norfloxacin and Ciprofloxacin to Europe and Far East
1991 - Launches Omez, which goes on to become:
- the No. 1 branded Omeprazole in the world
- the company's first INR 1 Billion brand
- a market leader in eleven countries
- 1993 - Becomes the first company to start work on drug discovery programs in India
- 1995 - Starts creating a world-class finished dosage facility in Hyderabad
- 2000 - Becomes India's third largest pharmaceutical company
2001 - Becomes the first:
- Asia Pacific pharma company, outside Japan, to get listed on the New York Stock Exchange
- Indian pharma company to obtain 180-day exclusive marketing rights for generic Fluoxetine 40 mg capsules
- 2007 - Launches the world's first biosimilar monoclonal antibody (mAb), Rituximab to make cancer treatment accessible to millions of patients worldwide
- 2010 - Launches the first biosimilar darbepoetin alfa in the world for anaemia patients, and rolls out programs (Sparsh and PromiusPromise™) to help patients, doctors and caregivers manage disease better
- 2012 - Acquires OctoPlus N.V., Netherlands, a service-based specialty pharma company to strengthens capabilities in proprietary drug delivery technologies and difficult-to-formulate APIs
- 2014 - Accelerates global access to affordable and innovative medicines