About GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals Limited
GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals Limited (GSK India) is an Indian subsidiary of GlaxoSmithKline Plc. (a British multinational employing around 98,000 people in 150 countries), with its head office in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. Established in 1924 (under a different name), GSK India manufactures and sells medicines across therapeutic areas such as anti-infectives, dermatology, gynaecology, diabetes, oncology, cardiovascular diseases and respiratory diseases, as well as vaccines for critical diseases like pneumococcal disease, meningitis, hepatitis, rotavirus, whooping cough, small pox and influenza.
The company operates in the following key segments:
(anti-infectives, dermatology, gynaecology, diabetes, oncology, cardiovascular diseases and respiratory diseases)
(pneumococcal disease, meningitis, hepatitis, rotavirus, whooping cough, small pox and influenza)
Consumer Healthcare, through a different company, GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare Ltd., selling nutritional and OTC products.
- Nutritional Products like Horlicks (a 100+ year brand), Boost, Foodles, Maltova and Viva
- (Promotes and distributes) OTC products like Crocin, Eno, Iodex and Sensodyne
Some of GSK India’s leading market brands are:
- Augmentin, Ceftum, Calpol, Phexin, Betnesol, Eltroxin Zinetac, Neosporin and Cetzine
- Vaccines like Havrix, Varilrix, Rotarix, Hiberix and Cervarix
- OTC medications like Crocin, Eno, Iodex and Sensodyne
- Nutrition products like Horlicks and Boost
As of 31 March 2016, GSK India had:
1 manufacturing unit at Nashik, Maharashtra
(plus 1 coming up in Vemgal Industrial Area, Kolar District, Karnataka)
1 R&D facility at Nashik, Maharashtra
(recognized by the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research, Government of India)
- A leadership position in the private vaccines market in India
- In 2015, GSK India was recognized by Fortune India as the Most Admired Company for the 3rd year in a row
- GSK India has a portfolio of 140+ brands and 250+ SKUs in India
- ~20% of GSK India’s revenue comes from imported products
- Recognized as a Best Healthcare Brand by The Economic Times Best Healthcare Brands 2016 in the pharma category, and as the No. 1 Most Reputed Pharmaceutical Brand among MNCs in India by Bluebytes and TRA Research
- GSK India has 7 of its products in India’s Top 50 Industry Brands
- (Source: IMS, TSA, Audit July 2016)
GSK India is listed on the National Stock Exchange of India (NSE) and the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE).
GSK India at-a-glance
(Year ended 31st March, 2016) (or ~?2,728 crores)
The company has not shared this information
GSK started its India operations on 1st January, 2001 after the merger of Glaxo Wellcome Plc and SmithKline Beecham Plc, although the histories of both the companies go back a lot further.
For more information, please see Milestones below.
- 1924 – Starts operations in India as HJ Foster & Co.
- 1947 – Starts manufacturing pharmaceuticals in Worli, Mumbai
- 1963 – Launches Betnovate, the popular skin ointment
- 1972 – Launches Eno, the popular antacid powder
1996 – Acquires Crocin, the painkiller brand
- 2000 – Glaxo Wellcome & SmithKline Beecham merge to form GlaxoSmithKline
- 2001 – Starts operations as GSK India
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Chairman: Mr. DS Parekh
- Managing Director: Mr. A Vaidheesh
- Executive Director & CFO: Mr. A Aristidou
- Executive Directors: Mr. R Krishnaswamy, Mr. RC Sequeira
- Directors: Mr. A Aristidou, Mr. RR Bajaaj, Ms. A Bansal, Mr. PV Bhide, Mr. N Kaviratne CBE, Mr. AN Roy, Mr. RC Sequeira, Mr. R Simard, Mr. D Sundaram
GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals Limited
Dr. Annie Besant Road
Mumbai 400 030
Tel: +91 22 2495 9595
As per company website